How to Use SAFES. This online training video assists with using the State Auditor's Form Entry System. When you click the link below, you will be brought to a web page with a video player. Click on the white triangle in the center of the player and the online training video will begin playing.
Audit Practice Division
2022 Local Government Training Conference. State Auditor Julie Blaha will host a training for those working with local government finances on November 17, 2022. For more information, please visit the conference webpage.
Government Information Division
CTAS Training Materials. Instructional materials for the Small City and Town Accounting System (CTAS) are available as documents you can download to view or print and, in some cases, videos you can watch on your computer. Click here to be brought to the CTAS "Getting Started" webpage to find links to the documents and videos.
2021 Volunteer Fire Relief Association Training. The Office of the State Auditor (OSA) is pleased to offer training for relief association officers, board members, and auditors. In 2021, three live webinars on July 14th, July 22nd, and July 27th replaced the typical in-person classroom sessions. Click on the links below to access the video recordings of the 2021 training webinars:
Pension Video Instruction Series. When you click on one of the links below, you will be brought to a web page with a video player. Click on the white triangle in the center of the player, or use the timestamp options above the video, and the online training video will begin playing.
- SAFES: A Complete Guide for Fire Relief Associations New!
- Reporting Requirements for Volunteer Fire Relief Associations (approximately 12 minutes)
- Deferred Interest: Options and Calculations (approximately 18 minutes)
FIRE Form Series. The Pension Division of the OSA has prepared a series of online training videos to assist with the completion of Pension reporting forms.
- FIRE Form: General Information (approximately 10 minutes)
- FIRE Form: Completing the Plan Information Tab (approximately 11 minutes)
- FIRE Form: Completing the Investment and Mutual Funds Tabs (approximately 6 minutes)
- FIRE Form: Completing the Cash Flows Tab (approximately 7 minutes)
- FIRE Form: Completing the Defined Contribution Table (approximately 9 minutes)
- FIRE Form: Completing the Financial Information and Pension Payments Tabs (approximately 13 minutes)
SC Form Series. The Pension Division of the OSA has prepared a series of online training videos to assist with the completion of Pension reporting forms.
- SC Form: Completing the Active Tab (approximately 7 minutes)
- SC Form: Completing the Deferred and Installments Tabs (approximately 8 minutes)
- SC Form: Completing the Financial Projection and Required Contribution Tabs (approximately 10 minutes)
- Completing the Maximum Benefit Worksheet (approximately 4 minutes)
Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Division
The TIF Division is pleased to announce the following training opportunities on topics related to tax increment financing. These training topics will be presented as live webinars at no cost. Recordings of the webinars will also be available after the sessions.
2023 Changes to the TIF Act - Wednesday, September 27, 9:00-11:00am
Significant changes were made to the TIF Act by the Minnesota Legislature in 2023. This webinar is meant to provide a robust review of the law changes which included important revisions to various pooling and administrative expense provisions, along with clarifications to the TIF Act’s violations statute, and a few other miscellaneous changes. This training is recommended for professionals involved in the decision making and administration of TIF.
An Introduction to TIF - Held July 18, 2023
This introduction to Tax Increment Finance (TIF) is appropriate for a broad audience of professionals who interact with TIF including, but not limited to, city/municipality staff, county staff, consultants, and economic development professionals. This session gives a broad overview of TIF and introduces key concepts. Some of the topics it explores include: what TIF is, the types of districts, how value is captured, the "but-for" test, the impact on jurisdictions, and the history of TIF. This training is perfect for newcomers to the TIF concept, or those who are looking for a refresher.
County Administrators Training - Held July 25, 2023
This training is designed to help county staff better understand the county’s roles and responsibilities as it relates to Tax Increment Financing (TIF). This session offers information on the county’s ability to respond to proposed TIF districts, certification of new/modified districts, decertification, administrative responsibilities, and reporting requirements. This training complements the OSA County TIF Guide.
Pre-Recorded Training Videos:
The Six-Year Rule. These videos and tool give an overview of the Six-Year Rule in the Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Act and how to track compliance.
- The Six-Year Rule (approximately 19 minutes) New!
- How to Monitor the Six-Year Rule (approximately 20 minutes) New!
- The Six Year Rule Tracking Tool - Excel Spreadsheet New!
Tax Increment Financing: A Primer for City Councils (& Other TIF Authorities). The TIF Division of the OSA has prepared a brief overview of key concepts and considerations for decisionmakers considering whether to approve the use of TIF.
- Tax Increment Financing: A Primer for City Councils (& Other TIF Authorities) (approximately 17 minutes)
TIF Video Instruction Series. The TIF Division of the OSA has prepared a series of training videos to assist with completing TIF forms.
- Completing the Pooled Debt Form (approximately 7 minutes)
- Completing the TIF Plan Collection Form (for Modified Districts) (approximately 6 minutes)
- Completing the TIF Plan Collection Form (for New Districts) (approximately 8 minutes)
TIF Annual Reporting Form Videos
- Part 1: Reporting Form Basics (approximately 7 minutes)
- Part 2: The Overview and District Information Tabs (approximately 8 minutes)
- Part 3: The Debt Tab (approximately 7 minutes)
- Part 4: The Interfund Loan Tab (approximately 9 minutes)
- Part 5: The Pay-As-You-Go Tab (approximately 9 minutes)
- Part 6: The Project Costs Tab (approximately 6 minutes)
- Part 7: The Transfers Tab (approximately 3 minutes)
- Part 8: The Revenues and Expenditures Tab (approximately 5 minutes)
- Part 9: The Balance Sheet Tab (approximately 3 minutes)
- Part 10: The Excess Increment Calculation Tab (approximately 4 minutes)
- Part 11: The Annual Disclosure Statement and Comments Tabs (approximately 4 minutes)
TIF Education Series. The TIF Division has prepared a series of videos with information and background on Tax Increment Financing.
- Creating TIF Districts: An Overview for TIF Authorities (approximately 25 minutes)
- The History of TIF and Why It Matters (approximately 18 minutes)
- Introduction to Tax Increment Financing (approximately 7 minutes)
- TIF District Types (approximately 13 minutes)
- TIF Pooling (approximately 7 minutes)
- Excess Increments vs. Excess Taxes (approximately 8 minutes)
Past Webinars. Please click below to view videos from prior year trainings.