Fire Department Grants

Occasionally, the OSA sees grant revenue deposited into a relief association’s general fund. Relief associations that receive grant funds should be sure that the terms of the grant are followed. The grant may require that the funds be given directly to the fire department. If the fire department is a city or town fire department, the funds need to be given directly to the municipality.

Minnesota law requires city councils and town boards to have full control over their municipality’s financial matters. Any money intended for use by a municipal fire department must be controlled by the city council or town board.

In addition, a relief association should not purchase or install fire department equipment without the governing body’s approval. The disbursement of city and town funds, including fire department funds, must comply with a process set forth in law.

Published last in the November 2023 Pension Newsletter