How do I challenge a special assessment placed on my property by my local government to pay for an improvement project?

We suggest that you contact your local government entity and ask how a special assessment may be challenged.

Local units of government have the authority to impose special assessments for certain improvements. Generally, the amount charged in a special assessment must bear a direct relationship to the value of the benefit the property receives. The process for challenging a proposed assessment is set out in Minnesota Statutes. It contains strict timelines.

A person who wants to challenge a proposed assessment may need to consult with a private attorney.

The appeal process is described at Minn. Stat. § 429.081.