Bonds for Public Employees and Officers
Minnesota law requires fidelity or faithful performance bonds for certain local government positions. In order to minimize the risk of loss of public funds, public entities should review what positions require bonding and then make sure all required bonds are in place. Public entities should also consider whether bonds should be obtained for additional employees/officers.
Some of the positions that require bonds include:
- Statutory city clerks and treasurers, or others as the city council may require (Minn. Stat. § 412.111);
- Public officer or employee delegated the duties of city clerk (Minn. Stat. § 412.151);
- Town clerks (Minn. Stat. § 367.10);
- Town treasurers (Minn. Stat. § 367.15);
- Relief association treasurers (Minn. Stat. § 424A.014);
- Port authority treasurers (Minn. Stat. § 469.051);
- Economic development authority treasurers (Minn. Stat. § 469.096); and
- School district employees who receive district funds (Minn. Stat. § 123B.14).
Date this Avoiding Pitfall was most recently published: 1/28/2022